Plymouth-Canton Community Schools welcomes your child to Kindergarten!
The 2020-2021 Kindergarten Enrollment will begin at your home school during the week of March 2, 2020.
Enrollment for Kindergarten or Young 5s Kindergarten (Y5sK) begins March 2 - 6, 2020.
If enrolling AFTER March 6, 2020, please make an appointment at your home school.
Students who will turn five years old by September 1st are eligible to attend kindergarten.
Summer birthdays between June 1 through September 1 will qualify for either the Young 5s Kindergarten or the traditional kindergarten classroom in their home school.
Early eligibility - In some cases, parents may believe that their child would benefit from early entrance into kindergarten. Students who will turn five years old between September 1st and December 1st may be considered for enrollment in either the Young 5s Kindergarten or traditional kindergarten by completing a waiver. Families considering the waiver should contact the home school to speak with the principal.
See the Young 5s Kindergarten information page for details about this program.
Go to the K-12 Enrollment page to get started!
District Wide Informational Meetings
Join us for an Informational Parent Meeting designed to support incoming Kindergarten families who wish to learn about the kindergarten curriculum, school readiness, Young 5s kindergarten, early entrance waiver forms and general information about Plymouth Canton Schools.
- Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. Bentley Elementary
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. Farrand Elementary
- Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. Hulsing Elementary
Kindergarten Orientation is scheduled during the week of March 30 to April 3, 2020. (Kindergarten Round Up)
General Kindergarten Information
Kindergarten classrooms offer curriculum based on the Michigan Academic Standards. Kindergarten experiences are designed to support the physical, social-emotional and cognitive development of children.
The kindergarten curriculum includes the Reader’s and Writer’s Workshop Framework and builds on early literacy foundations for reading and writing. The EveryDay Math program is used with an extended focus on numeracy concepts.
Experiences to support physical and social emotional learning are included throughout the day with a focus on building relationships with others, fostering independence and increasing stamina, (physical, social and academic). Science and Social Studies based learning experiences build the foundation for collaborative learning with peers and expand problem solving skills.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
My child is currently enrolled in a Plymouth Canton preschool class. Do I need to re-enroll online for kindergarten and/or Y5s Kindergarten?
Yes, you will need to complete the online pre-enrollment and enrollment process with your home school.
Are all kindergarten classes full day?
Yes, Plymouth Canton Community Schools only offer full day kindergarten classes
What are the hours for kindergarten?
The proposed hours are listed below. These are the PROPOSED times for the 2020-2021 school year and are subject to change:
Kindergarten: Monday through Friday, regular school hours..
Young 5s Kindergarten: (subject to change)
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:28 a.m. - 3:35 p.m.
and Thurs. 8:48 am – 3:55 p.m.
When will kindergarten orientation occur?
You must be enrolled to attend. During the enrollment process you will be asked to reserve space on the home school's orientation schedule.
When can I tour the school?
Tours are not provided during school hours. Families of incoming kindergarten/Y5s Kindergarten students will tour the school and explore a kindergarten classroom during their scheduled kindergarten orientation session.
What is the difference between Enrollment and Registration?
For consistency we will use the term 'enroll' to refer to students entering the P-CCS district for the first time. Register will be used to sign up for classes through Community Education or at the high school level.
Kindergarten Readiness and Supporting your child for Kindergarten
- Help your child gain independence - Support your child in being able to dress themselves, tie their own shoes, zip their coats, clean up dishes from the table, wash their hands, complete simple chores.
- Support conversation and listening to others - Talk with your child, encourage questions, play games with turn taking, read books, tell stories, talk about the stories or the facts in a book, encourage retelling of an event or a story, etc.
- Encourage curiosity and a sense of wonder - Talk with your child. Ask open-ended questions such “What do you think?”, “Is there another way?”, “How might you…?” Explore new experiences together: visit the zoo, the library, the mall, the park etc.
- Support problem solving and perspective taking - Encourage your child to figure things out. Ask questions like, “Is there another way?”, “What could you do to fix that?”, “How might you help with?”, “How did that make your friend feel?”
- Support the development of personal responsibility - Help your child recognize that being part of a school community sometimes means comprise or not getting their way. Helping children experience and understand how to lose at a game, how to wait for a turn at something etc. will build foundations for problem solving in the school environment. Play board games and card games with your child and support them when they experience loss. Provide opportunities for turn taking and experiences where they can practice delayed gratification. Identify simple rules in the game and help reinforce following those rules.
- Encourage reading and writing - Read to your child, notice familiar signs in your community, encourage your child to make lists, draw pictures, play with letters and words. For more ideas visit the U.S. Department of Education
- Engage in math-based activities - Encourage measuring and counting. Cook with your child, play memory and simple card games, spend time playing board games together, count, sort and group items when driving in the car or grocery shopping.
Watch this video to learn more about All Day Kindergarten at P-CCS...